Our wedding: 07/07/07 November 19, 2007
Rehearsal Dinner: Alux (Playa del Carmen) October 7, 2007
Has it really been three weeks? August 2, 2007
Things have been a wee bit hectic since Chris and I got back from Mexico, so I just wanted to reach out quickly and give you a little update.
(1) Photos. We have over 1500, yes that is 1500, photos to STILL go through so this is going to take some time. We are having everyone who took photos to post them online and we will be making this a master photo album of the trip. Chris has started to put some of the better (i.e. edited) ones into an album for us, which is where I would check back regularly if you are interested in seeing the trip in a condensed, and edited, version.
(2) We do have a video of the ceremony itself and should have that posted to this site within the next week. There was a bit of wind blowing, so we need to see if we can bring that sound down a bit. I know, we are way too geeky for our own good.
(3) Thank you cards. We are working on them. Promise.
(4) Reception in SF. We are still hoping to do something in October/November – just depends on how many projects I can line up for Chris between now and then.
(5) I am going by Mrs. Kristie WELLS, not HEUER. I am a 39 year-old woman who has built a reputation I actually way to keep. I think I earned it. 🙂
(6) And for the record, my hair wasn’t really *that* big for the wedding. The wind is blowing at my back and making me look like a lion in this photo. Honest. Which I should also take this opportunity to throw a shout out to the wonderful kdon who rocked my makeup and hair for the wedding. Love you woman.
Ok, more to follow soon.
Kristie’s REAL Wedding Vows July 15, 2007
While the ‘ditto’ following Chris’ vows might have been funny to some, it wasn’t what I had really intended to say to him. I had actually written vows. Real vows. But I thought it would be silly of me to hold a piece of paper up during the ceremony, so I left it in the room thinking I would remember it all. I mean, logic told me all I had to do was look into Chris’ beautiful blue/green eyes and the words of love would all come streaming through me. Not.
Chris’ vows stunned me.
I don’t know why I was surprised, I knew they would. In fact, that was one of the reasons I knew I needed to prepare. I was marrying a poet. One who has an absolute amazing way with words on any old regular day – I knew he was going to shine on our wedding day. I thought I was ready. I thought I could hold it together. Then he pulled out two sheets of paper and I lost it. I mean, if Chris had to write his vows down to remember it all, I was in trouble. Deep, deep trouble.
So when he finished, all I could think of ‘ditto’. Of course, the minute that left my mouth, I realized I should try and recover. Try to pull the words back through me that I had wanted to say to him. Two minutes of pure babble then followed. I guess it was a good thing I didn’t have the microphone next to my mouth the entire time as the ocean was drowning out most of the silliness. But it was ok. I was looking into the face of love and love was smiling back on me. At least he already knew I was a dork.
So without further delay, here are my real vows.
Muffin. My love. My partner. My soul mate.
I must admit it is a little odd to be standing here, professing my love to you, wearing a white (ok, ivory) frock, as we wait for a judge to tell us we are man and wife. Odd because I feel like we are already married, that we made our commitment to one another long ago. So this is just a formality…and a rouse on your part to get me in a dress, but it is ok, because having that piece of paper now means we get to save 20% on our auto insurance.
There is an undeniable connection between us, and what I initially thought were mere coincidences, quickly turned into signs I had finally met my mate. My soul mate. I had finally found the male version of me, scary as that may be.
- We both have ‘Chris’ at the root of our names – Christopher and Christy (legal spelling until I changed it in 7th grade – yes, I was ahead of my time). I keep telling everyone I tried to fall in love with a Steve, but my heart caved for a Chris, so we will now forever be chrisandkristie.com.
- You have a cat named Ele, my cat’s name was Ellie.
- You and I had the same exact set of silverware. Oneida’s Sandstone. Not a real popular style. I bought this set over eight years ago and you had the same exact set so when we merged our households, this was a very big bonus for me as you know how much I like things that match.
- When we met, I was living in 94404 while you were living in 94044 and we now live in 94114. Just a neat numbers thing.
- We both own maroon vehicles. Not red, maroon. Almost freaky, isn’t it?
Christopher, I stand here today and promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. I promise to help you spend our money, and also to manage our debt. I promise to cherish you, to respect you.
You are the yin to my yang. The root of me. I love you.
- I love that you point out the cracks in the sidewalk so I won’t trip and hurt myself (as you know I would).
- I love when you do the ‘Miami’ dance.
- I love the fact you think the bright yellow shirt with orange flowers goes nicely with the red corduroy pants.
- I love that you will still curl up with me on the couch even three hours after I have had red meat.
- I love that you are a man who understands, and sometimes feeds, my Coach purse addiction.
- I love your smile and how it warms my soul when it is directed at me.
- I love that when I call you muffin, you call me scone.
- I love that you take better care of my knees than I do.
- I love that you are patient and supportive even when I keep taking the baseball swing on the golf course.
- I love that you kick my ass in Scrabble every single time, but don’t gloat (well, not too much).
- I love that you got your back waxed for me as you know it makes me happy.
- I love that you challenge me. I may not love it at the time, but afterwards, when I realize you were right, I love that.
Mostly, I love the love you have for me, and I promise to spend the rest of my life loving you, completely.
Chris’ Wedding Vows… July 8, 2007
You asked, so here they are… audio and video to come later in the week.
Yes, we are match kids, in the truest sense of the word. We met because I changed my expectations of what I was looking for on match.com and I winked at you. Its a good thing you winked back online, because you can’t physically wink at all. I was attracted to you then because of your love for Dave Matthews, your great attitude, your smile and the fact that you werent looking for a serious relationship. Now almost 1400 days later, here we are at the altar with our true friends on a beautiful beach, fulfilling one of our childhood dreams together.
When we met in person for the first time, and you trudged up my 63 steps with your bad knee, you gave me a magic 8 ball – of course, I immediately thought to myself, what a dork… but I gave in and asked it a question… I didn’t like the answer it gave me, so I shaked harder and asked again – same result. I never told you what I really asked that day, so I thought I should finally tell you that I asked “is she the one?” the answer was ‘yes, definitely’
It’s hard to believe that the magic 8 ball was right, but clearly it was – I began to fall in love with you that very night, holding hands in the movies and making out in your car… I love you for more than kissing on the first date though – I love you because you and I complement each other in so many ways – in a true sense, as Livio kept pointing out to me about 2.5 yrs ago, we are perfect for each other.
I love the way your soul smiles at the world
I love your infectious laughter
I love how you make me laugh
I love how you make me feel when I look into your eyes
I love your compassion and the way you support your friends
I love the way you support us and give me strength when I have none left for either of us
I love all of you, no matter how big or small
I love your hair, no matter how short, long or russian
I love the way you say ‘ohhhoohhh’
I love the sweetness in your heart, the love in your eyes and the strength in your hands.
What I love most about you though, is how much more I love myself and the world around us when I am with you – you truly do complete me and with each passing day, you make me even more happy then the day before. Being with you here now is the happiest day of my life, but I know there are many happier days to come for us both.
So for these and so many other reasons,
I promise to love, honor and respect, and occasionally obey
I promise to fight you to the bitter end, but make up as quickly as possible
I promise to hold your hands while we take walks on the beach (unless its too hot, and then I will only hold your pinkie)
I promise to keep pursuing our dreams and never settle for second best
I promise to do my best to make this a wonderful life for us, as we both work to make this world a better place
I promise to always be a kid at heart
I promise to always keep advil by the bed so I can never say not tonight dear I have a headache
I promise to be true to you, and to us
I promise to make each day an adventure as we explore new ways to express our love
I promise to love you for ever and ever and ever – no matter what
You are my true love, and I am looking forward to spending the rest of my life with you.
Just a quick update from the beautiful, humid, sunny beaches of the Mexican Riviera. We tied the knot. It was beautiful. It was perfect – everything we ever dreamed of. No chance to upload photos or videos for a while as Internet access is slow and hard to get to…
Will be sharing more soon enough though…
We love you all and are sorry you could not be here to share with us.